September 16, 2010

Beyond George or When Was Queen Anne?

Long ago, when I lived in England, I learned this schoolyard mnemonic for reciting the English kings and queens.  It never fails to impress!

Willy, Willy, Harry, Stee
Harry, Dick, John, Harry 3.                    
1, 2, 3 Neds, Richard 2
Harrys 4, 5, 6, then who?
Edward 4-5, Dick the Bad
Henry, Henry, Ned the Lad.
Mary, Bessie, James the Vain
Then Charlie, Charlie, and James again.
William and Mary, Anna Gloria
Four Georges, William,
And Victoria.
Edward 7, Georgie 5,
Edward, George,
and Liz alive.

4 comments:

  1. So the mnemonic only begins with 1066 and the Normans. Leaving out poor Ethelbirt and Offa? Alfred, Edgar and, (my fav) Ethelred, the "unready"?

    But thanks for the posting, Shawn. I've already copied it down in my common place book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Initially I, too, was bothered by the omission of the pre-Normans, but I think the rationale for this lies in the fact that England was seven separate kingdoms until the Conqueror.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least 7, I'm sure. And be advised: next time I see you I'll be wanting a recitation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! But there is no way I could ever remember it! Does it have a catchy tune to go with it?

    (I used to have a cat named Ethelred - but she was ALWAYS ready!)

    ReplyDelete